This is my first year taking part in the End of the Year Book Survey hosted by The Perpetual Page Turner! I’m really excited to take a look back at the books I’ve read this year, what my favorites were, what books surprised me, etc. So without further ado!
Number of Books You Read: 100! Nothing like hitting your goal 2 days before the end of the year. 😉
Number of Re-Reads: ZERO. I’m not a big re-reader.
Genre You Read The Most From: I’m almost completely split between YA and Adult titles this year. I love a good adult romance when I’m looking for a quick read. I like a little more variety in my YA reads but I mostly read contemporary fiction this year, followed closely behind by fantasy/retellings.
1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
This is like the toughest question in the world to ask a book nerd. So many outstanding reads this year. So I’m going to go with the first one that stands out, and that is Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer. I’m eagerly awaiting the companion book in 2018.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Hmmm, there were a few books I was super hyped about and felt a little let down upon reading. Cold Summer by Gwen Cole, They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera, and An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson. I finished them all and it’s not like I hated them, it’s just they didn’t quite live up to my own expectations. 🙁
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Bang by Barry Lyga. It has a tough subject matter and I totally didn’t expect how invested I would become while reading it.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. Everyone should read that book.
5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
This is a tough one because I loved so many starters but I’d say Roar by Cora Carmack. I’m really excited for where the Stormheart series may go. Warcross by Marie Lu is a close second! Best sequel – Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2) by Cassandra Clare. So good and I’m dying for the last book! I didn’t read a single series conclusion in 2017 (Does A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3) count with the spin-off series in the works?) but I know a few are coming next year.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
Not sure I’m answering this right but I’m looking forward to future books by Angie Thomas, Rebecca Phillips, and Stephanie Garber.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I honestly do not read a lot of big named Adult reads. But after binge watching Game of Thrones the tv series I read A Game of Thrones and really enjoyed it. Hopefully I can read a couple more in the series in 2018. No rush it seems with the delay in upcoming books…
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
I’m going to go with Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2) by Cassandra Clare. She always has a way of engrossing me in the characters and action from start to finish, despite the massive size of the books.
9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Like I mentioned above, I rarely reread BUT I know I will reread An Ex For Christmas by Lauren Layne next Holiday season because it was just the perfect Christmas-y read.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson. Gorgeous cover!
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
Oooh, this is a tough one. Since 2017 is the year I read Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli I would have to say Simon! He’s utterly adorable.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer. There’s a reason it’s my favorite book of 2017!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
Easily The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. A must-read for all.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. I can’t believe it took me 2 years to finally read it!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
“Never make someone else the main character in your own story.” – Ghosted by J.M. Darhower. I thought this would be an impossible question for me to answer upon first glance but Darhower’s books are ALWAYS filled with quotes I adore.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
I went on a huge Christmas reads spree this month, a few of which were novellas and Saving the Sheriff by Roxanne Snopek was the shortest at 126 pages. The longest read this year was definitely A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin at a whopping 848 pages.
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
This Darkness Mine by Mindy McGinnis. It really didn’t work for me but I can’t deny how much the author had me saying, WTF?!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
I feel like this could be as hard to answer as the favorite book question. I mean, seriously. Simon and Blue (Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda) are adorable. And with 2 books into the series, I’m quite attached to Emma and Julian (Lord of Shadows) and their forbidden love story.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Oh man. A positive family life or friendship can be so important and I always love when they are so strongly incorporated in a novel. I finally read Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson this year and it really stands out for this category. A lot of beautiful family interactions throughout, especially given the subject. The MC’s relationship with her father was wonderful to read.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Warcross by Marie Lu and Lord of the Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2) by Cassandra Clare. Both are favorites and have yet to let me down. I’m also going to go with Menace and Grievous (Scarlet Scars 1&2) by J.M. Darhower. Another favorite author that delivered an amazing duology this year!
21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
I finally read Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson this year on the rec of Kelly. The book had been sitting on my shelf for years and Kelly was my inspiration to finally pick it up!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
So many new crushes this year and I wouldn’t even know where to start. lol
23. Best 2017 debut you read?
The Last Namsara by Kristen Ciccarelli. I was really impressed and look forward to more in the series and from the author.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
An Ex for Christmas by Lauren Layne. Seriously smiled and adored the whole way through. The Knocked Up Plan by Lauren Blakely was another one!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
Yeah, so I love emotional reads and I tend to cry quite easily. Second Chance Summer left me a sobbing mess.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
These Things I’ve Done by Rebecca Phillips. Such a touching story that had angst and heart. I’m always surprised I don’t see it mentioned more from others!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
The ending of Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2) by Cassandra Clare…
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
I think Warcross by Marie might have been the most unique. So unlike anything I’ve read and so much fun. And even though They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera didn’t completely work for me, I cannot deny how interesting and different the concept was.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
I can get quite mad at some characters, main or secondary. But I was pretty mad at basically every character we meet in This Darkness Mine by Mindy McGinnis. Every. One.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
Wonder Woman by Leigh Bardugo! I have two final copies and have yet to pick one up! That’s a must in early 2018.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
More Than We Can Tell by Brigid Kemmerer. Since Letters to the Lost was my favorite of 2017, of course the companion book would be my most anticipated read of 2018!
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw sounds pretty amazing!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
Immortal Reign (Falling Kingdoms #6) by Morgan Rhodes, Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices #3) by Cassandra Clare, and the final installment of the Thrones of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
Just to keep doing what I do. Sometimes I wish I can post a little more frequently but I don’t want to pressure myself and want to keep this a fun place to leave my book thoughts when I can.
6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):
I’ve read 3 2018 novels so far, all with early January release dates so their reviews will be posted in the next couple weeks! I have yet to be disappointed!
All in all, 2017 was a great year! I finally got to go to a book event – ALA Midwinter in Atlanta last January. I had so much fun and now that I know how amazing those events are firsthand it is harder and harder to not be able to go to the ones that follow. lol I hope someday I’ll get the chance again. I read so many amazing books that didn’t get mentioned on this list. Fingers crossed 2018 brings books just as great, if not better!